Thursday, June 4, 2009

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia














Kuala Lumpur
Population of Metropolitan Area: 7,200,000(though I think this is very generous, city proper is 2 million)
Year Founded: 1857

Kuala Lumpur seems to me like a city of juxtapositions. Most visibly out of a largely impoverished city rises the Petronas Towers, a symbol of wealth seen not only from every point in the city, but recognized world wide. I then wonder is it better to create a few really nice things to stimulate development through out the city or is it better to spread the investments around. There is no denying it though that Petronas Towers, as well as the rapid transit with flat screen monitors to and from the new world class airport are first rate. There’s also no denying that the towers put the city on the map, I will even admit that before I visited Kuala Lumpur, I only recognized the Petonas Towers, I did not know the cities name.

The majority of the city its self feels very chaotic, poorly planned with out basic things like sidewalks and street signs. I walked from KL Sentral where the train from the airport arrives to the area around the Patronas Towers and it very quickly became clear to me that KL is not a walking city. Once I figured out how to get down from the train station (the station is platformed up in the air and accessed by elevated highway ramps) I had quite a time trying to walk on any of the streets. Sidewalks would end, roads would become pseudo highways, and the only way to ever get across was to just run for it. I suppose the residents realize this as I hardly ever saw anyone else walking, everyone seems to drive. The streets are also really hard to navigate as the seldom link up with other streets and tend to go one long winded swoops in the wrong direction.

Haha but enough of this negativity. Once you get from KL Sentral to the newly developed area around the Petronas Towers you begin to see a completely new city, one that is lavish and equipped with all of the modern amenities. Inside the Petronas Towers is a gigantic shopping mall packed with people and designer stores. The mall is linked to the subway as well as a neighboring park and convention center. I think its safe to say that the project was a success. The buildings themselves are clearly inspired by the traditional temples like those found at Angkor Wat and other places surrounding the region. I was surprised in a sense at how Art Deco the design of the building felt, especially the interiors. The main lobby plays contrast between extremely dark stone against a lighter grey, similar in color scheme to the lobby of the Chrysler Building if I recall correctly. The general form of the buildings also reminds me greatly of the Chrysler building, but this new interpretation feels lighter and more molded. I will say though the Chrysler building is one of my favorite buildings, and I think the Petronas Towers come close to achieving the same sense of branding and serve as a similar symbol of the city as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment